Many Biblical scholars believe that Bartholomew, mentioned in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, and Nathanael, only mentioned in the Gospel of John are two names for the same Apostle. The Edgar Cayce readings do not mention Nathanael, only Bartholomew. Bartholomew’s soul was reincarnated at the time of America’s legendary mystic, Edgar Cayce. He was Mr. 5767, but he did not request a reading. How does that work, you ask? I will let Gladys Davis, Edgar’s long-time secretary and stenographer, explain.
BACKGROUND OF READING 5767-1
B1. GD's note: No individual or personal reading was given for Mr. , but he apparently was a business associate of Mr.  and Mr. . See especially 137-123, Par. 21-A--23-A [DS: See below.] indicating that in the Palestine incarnation Mr.  had been Bartholomew, one of Jesus' disciples. Case number was given to preserve the man's identity.
TEXT OF READING 137-123 M 30 (Stockbroker, Hebrew) [DS: Mr. 137 was the reincarnation of Jude, the youngest brother of Jesus.]
21. (Q) Is  one of the prophets or disciples of the Master? (A) Bartholomew. 22. (Q) He was Bartholomew? (A) Bartholomew. 23. (Q) Why is my liking for him so marked? (A) On account of those associations that endeared all of the apostles or disciples to this entity Jude in that experience when, through hardships, many gained the better concept of those experiences through which each were passing. As is seen in the present experience, this - or these entities, thrown together under different circumstances, yet each find in the other that confidence that is not wholly understandable to either - yet, were these to read together, even this as is given by the Beloved - "The Father pitieth those that would seek after Him" - or again in "In my Father's house are many mansions; were it not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place, that where I am ye may be also. Me ye have known, and the way ye know, for I am the way, the truth, and the light. Had ye not known me ye would not have known the Father, but seeing me, in me ye see the Father also. If I go not away the spirit will not come unto you, but I go to the Father, and the spirit will ABIDE with you and bring to your REMEMBRANCE all things whatsoever I have said unto you." These - this, mine son - and thou wilt see, even in the counsel of thine own hearts, as men, THIS fulfilled in the street, in the market place, or in thine OWN home. 24. (Q) Is this from the Master? (A) Joseph - I, Joseph, would counsel you thus. These, my son, the words of the Master, even as spoken through the Beloved [DS: John the Beloved disciple] in that of His record [DS: writings]. Read them there. [Reading 137-123]
30. Before that we find the entity was in what is now known as the Promised Land, during those periods when there were the preparations for the coming of the teacher, the lowly one, yet the Great I AM into the experience of flesh - that man might again have an advocate with the divine that had grown so far away to the hearts of those that were lost in the toils of the day. 31. There the entity was among those peoples about the land of Bethany, during that period when Martha, Mary, and Lazarus; Jesus, the disciples; Peter, James, John, Andrew, Bartholomew, Philip, Thomas and the others made many pilgrimages to and from the various portions of the land.
32. The entity then was of those lands from which Bartholomew was drawn, was taken for his activities among the peoples. 33. Hence the entity was in association with Mary, the mother [DS: of Jesus]; with the daughter and sons of Joseph and Mary, that made for those influences which brought the beauties into the experiences of man during that sojourn. 34. The entity was active in the sect of the Essenes. Thus, as would be called, the entity was among the holy women - even at the days when they stood beneath the Cross, the days when they waited on those who had been persecuted, stoned and beaten for a cause. 36. In the experience the entity was called Sardenia (?), but the name was Marlan. [DS: Many or possibly all of the Essenes had an alias so that the alias could be used in conversations between members of the Essenes while they were in public places where they did not wish others to comprehend the entirety of an overheard discussion.] [1463-2]
3. ... while Andrew's [DS: beard] is just the opposite - very sparse, but inclined to be long more on the side and under the chin - long on the upper lip - his robe was always near gray or black, while his clouts or breeches were striped; while those of Philip and Bartholomew were red and brown. [5749-1]
Bartholomew, as was the case with most of the other Apostles, traveled to different locations and assisted in the establishing of new churches.
23. Before that we find the entity was in the Palestine land, during those periods when there were those turmoils and those preparations that had been made by individuals and by groups when there had been those expectations of the coming of the Prince of Peace. 24. The entity was among those of the mothers of Nazareth that suffered under the edict of Herod, and made for during those portions of the experience a rebellion as against those of religious freedom or of religious rote. 25. Hence we find in the latter portion of the entity's experience that only when there came the influence under the teachings of Bartholomew and of Titus that the entity gained the real import of those purposes, those activities, and why and how that the entity even as a mother was a martyr to a cause. And in the latter portion of that experience the entity became rather as a PERSONAL aid to those of the Church as was established in Jerusalem, suffering with those of the persecuted yet making for strength in those that became weak through the persecutions that came during those periods. 26. In the name then Ruth. [308-3]
20. Hence in the activity the entity became, in the latter portion of the experience, joined with those who met in the upper chamber. [DS: The upper chamber was a large room on the second floor of a wholesale fish business in Jerusalem owned by Zebedee, the father of the future Apostles James and John the Beloved. Jesus and his Disciples often met in this upper chamber and The Last Supper was held in there.] And the feelings, the innate expressions that arise in the entity from the reading of those particular activities in the first chapters recorded in Acts, have to the entity a significance that is not experienced in other portions; save in those that deal with the visits of the man of Galilee, the man who walked among His fellow man that others might be shown the way for the more perfect understanding.
21. Then the entity was in the name Phoebe, and in the latter portion of the entity's sojourn - when the persecution activities began in the city, the entity again journeyed into the land of its birth, or into Galilee, to become associated rather with Andrew, Bartholomew, Jude, and those who became the ministers in that land. 22. Then the entity acted in the capacity of one to aid in bringing the words that had been gained by such associations to those that were in despair in body, in mind, and those that were troubled in spirit.
55. (Q) Whose choice was it that my daughter, , was in the Temple in the Galilean experience? [See daughter's reading 649-2, Par. 8-A on 8/8/35, which indicated that  was 's daughter at the time of the Master.] [DS: Miss 649 was the reincarnation of Andra, one of the twelve maidens groomed by the Essenes for many years, on instructions from Above, from which the mother of the anticipated savior would be chosen, and was chosen, from Above. Note that the mother and daughter relationship existed in both time periods.] (A) Her own! [379-3]
35. Before that the entity was in the Palestine land, during those periods when there was the dispersing of the followers of the Nazarene; when there was the spreading of the teachings by the persecutions in Jerusalem when James was beheaded. 36. The entity became especially affiliated or associated with those groups, - as of Andrew and Bartholomew, - who chose to go towards the east rather than the west. The entity became particularly associated with these two, in a part of the Persian land; then in the name Pebelus. 37. The entity was a teacher, a gatherer of groups. But with the attaining of those tenets and truths that were propounded to the entity, it became a follower of that sect of the Nazarenes in that land; bringing forth fruit worthy of acceptance before Him, the Maker. [2775-1]
13. Before that we find the entity was in the lands to which the Apostles went when they were driven because of persecutions to the Holy Land, and those parts of what is Asia Minor or the old portions and to Persia; and we find the entity, not as a "hanger-on" but as one who aided the Disciples, who followed through in these directions with John in one portion of the land, and then with the descriptions of Bartholomew. The entity was closely associated with these in singing psalms and in the alms and good deeds for those attracted to same for the material as well as spiritual portion of their lives. 14. In the experience the entity was then known as Ishneth. [5359-1]
40. Before that the entity was in the Promised Land, during those periods when there were persecutions, those activities that brought about disturbances among many peoples. 41. There the entity was associated in those activities in the church at Laodicea, when there were those disputations with Paul and Lucius [DS: a previous incarnation of Edgar Cayce], the questionings of Peter and Andrew and Bartholomew. All of these were a part of the entity's experience, in which it was torn, as it were, between two opinions. And later, when there were those reestablishings of the activities with Lucius as the elder, the minister, [DS: of the church in Laodicea] those overtures were made that brought the entity to that interpreting of the activities according to the CHRIST-Consciousness, rather than as to an individual man. These brought harmony and peace, and the entity in the latter part of that sojourn was a deaconess in the church at Laodicea. [3051-2]
32. Before that the entity was in the Promised Land, during those periods when the Master walked in the earth, - when there were trials and tribulations for those who believed, and who walked in the straight and narrow way. Yet the entity, even as He, learned obedience through the things which she suffered. 33. Though the entity knew material hardships, though the entity engaged in those activities that were questioned by many, the entity aided especially some of those that had been closely associated with the Master. 34. For the entity then, as the sister of Bartholomew, the companion of Thomas, brought those periods of doubts and fears, and yet those activities and abilities to contribute to the mental and physical awarenesses of those that suffer in body and mind.
35. And the entity became then, as would be called today, a practical nurse. 36. Thus those abilities to adjust itself to the varied environs, - to minister to those who are ill in body and mind, - were portions of the activities of the entity through that experience. 37. Hence such opportunities will be manifested in the present experience. Be thou mindful of that lesson learned, and be thou faithful to the hope ye learned in that sojourn. 38. The name then was Eleiza. [2650-1]
© Doug Simpson 2016.
Edgar Cayce Readings © 1971, 1993-2009 by the Edgar Cayce Foundation. Used by Permission, All Rights Reserved.
Doug Simpson is a retired high school teacher who has turned his talents to writing. His first novel, a spiritual mystery titled Soul Awakening, was published in the United States in October of 2011, by Booklocker. It was reissued in October of 2012 by 5 Prince Publishing as Soul Awakening, Book I of the Dacque Chronicles. For further details visit them at http://5princebooks.com/.
It is available in print and eBook format through most bookstores around the world. Soul Rescue, Book II of the Dacque Chronicles was published in November of 2012, Soul Mind, Book III of the Dacque Chronicles was published in January of 2013, and Soul Connections, Book IV of the Dacque Chronicles was published in April of 2013. Doug’s first non-fiction book, titled The Soul of Jesus, was published by 5 Prince Publishing in January of 2014. In March of 2014, it earned recognition as a #1 Bestseller on Amazon, USA. Abandoned Soul, Book V of the Dacque Chronicles was published on January 7, 2016. His magazine and website articles have been published in 2010 to 2016 in Australia, Canada, France, India, Mexico, Russia, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and the United States. His articles can be accessed through his website at http://dousimp.mnsi.net.
Submit Your Own Article